Roasted Fall Vegetable Soup
- 2 Cups Onions, Diced
- 1 T Ginger, Fresh Grated
- 2 LB Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 LB Pumkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 EA Parsnips, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 Cups (or more) Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 8 Oz Chorizo Sausage, split in half (optional if making vegetarian)
- ½ tsp Clove, Ground
- ½ tsp Cinamon, Ground
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Duck Confit, shredded, to garnish
- Thyme, fresh chopped
Preheat oven to 450°F
- In a large mixing bowl place squash, pumpkin, parsnips, & chorizo, drizzle with ¼ cup oil. Season with salt, pepper, clove, cinnamon, and toss to coat mixture. Transfer to a large roasting pan, cook in preheated oven for 1 hour (mixing with large spatula every 15 minutes).
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add ginger; stir 3 minutes. Add roasted squash mixture and 5 1/2 cups broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat; and simmer until squash is soft, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly, and remove chorizo (reserve for another use).
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender while adding cream until smooth. Return puree to pot. Thin soup with more broth if desired. Simmer 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and chill. Rewarm before serving, thinning with more broth if desired.)
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with 1 tablespoon warm Duck Confit. Sprinkle with fresh thyme and serve.